Thursday, February 19, 2026

HD FLASH NEWS

Where Information Sparks Brilliance

HomeSportsNaqvi meets national hockey team, assures support 'until turmoil ends' after Australia...

Naqvi meets national hockey team, assures support ‘until turmoil ends’ after Australia fiasco | The Express Tribune


‘I am not becoming Hockey Federation president, but we will assist players,’ says PCB chairman

PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi meeting with hockey team players. Photo: X

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi met players of the national hockey team in Lahore on Thursday to address concerns raised by them and assured them of full support following the Australia tour fiasco during the Pro Hockey League.

The development came after Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Chief Tariq Bugti stepped down following complaints by national team players during last week’s whitewash tour. It also followed Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif ordering a formal inquiry and signalling possible management changes after the national team’s poor performance in the Pro Hockey League.

Pakistan captain Imad Shakeel Butt alleged serious shortcomings by PHF officials, saying players were not provided proper accommodation during the Australia tour.

According to a PCB statement, during today’s meeting, the players informed Naqvi of the unpleasant incidents they encountered during the league. Naqvi expressed his regret over the mistreatment of the hockey players and reassured them that the board would take measures to ensure better treatment in the future.

In recognition of their efforts, Naqvi also presented cheques of Rs1 million each to the players for their runner-up finish in the Six-Nation Hockey Tournament. The players thanked Naqvi for his support and encouragemen.

He further promised to ensure that the players would be properly accommodated, saying, “We will provide full support and streamline hockey operations.”

The PCB said that Naqvi instructed the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) to arrange tickets, kits and hotel accommodations for the players attending the World Cup qualifiers in Egypt. Naqvi also directed that all necessary arrangements for the camp be completed promptly.

A training camp for the hockey players will be set up in Lahore starting from tomorrow.

In addition, Naqvi took immediate action regarding injured player Hannan Shahid, directing the PCB to arrange for his medical treatment. “I want all players to focus solely on their game,” Naqvi emphasised during the meeting.

The PCB chairman also reiterated his commitment to the national team’s success, saying, “Pakistan’s honour comes first. We will not let anything harm the dignity of our country.” Naqvi added that foreign coach Roelant Oltmans would be brought in to assist the national team.

After meeting with the players, Naqvi said in a post on X, “I am not becoming Hockey Federation President, but we will assist players until this turmoil ends.”

Also Read: Pakistan hockey chief resigns after ‘shabby’ winless Australia tour

Earlier, the PSB rejected allegations made by the PHF, saying documentary evidence showed the board fulfilled all financial responsibilities related to the national team’s participation in FIH Pro League Season-7 Phase-2 in Hobart, Australia.

In a statement, the PSB said claims against it were misleading and contrary to the record, adding that administrative and operational shortcomings occurred at the federation level rather than within the government body.

The national team’s departure for the Australia tour was initially scheduled for Feb 2, 2026, but was cancelled after visa applications submitted by the PHF were delayed and contained incorrect information. The PSB said it intervened through diplomatic channels, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, after which applications were resubmitted. The team departed on Feb 5 and arrived in Hobart on Feb 7.

According to the board, it paid Rs27.1 million for air tickets and covered an additional Rs9.7m in costs arising from visa-related issues. It added that the federation provided lists of players and officials with passports on Jan 26 and 27, after which a cheque for hotel payments was issued on Jan 28.

Read More: PM Shehbaz orders inquiry after hockey team’s poor results

The board also rejected claims that it was responsible for handling all operational arrangements for international events, saying under the national sports governance framework, it provides financial support, oversight and policy guidance, while logistics, bookings, visa processing and operational management fall under the mandate of the relevant federation.

It added that documents related to the national team’s participation in a World Cup qualifying event in Egypt, including player lists and no-objection certificates, had yet to be submitted by the federation.

“The Pakistan Sports Board will not compromise on the national team’s interests, transparency and accountability,” the statement said.





Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments